On the Saturday before Halloween, both ART BRAINS groups spent class-time making masks from paper, foam sheets, and various craft materials. This was the first art-making session I've ever led that was not based on a conceptual prompt, and I wanted it to be a relaxed, open session. In some ways, it was really liberating not to have a specific agenda, and in others, it was sometimes hard not to want to push things a bit further. I at first kept the materials hidden to encourage kids to come up with ideas they were excited about, rather than just wanting to get their hands on feathers and sparkly stuff. Of course the instant it was revealed, there was no turning back from the frenzied storm of gratuitous glitter that ensued (actually, more so with the older group). Of course, a little glitter for glitter's sake every once in a while never hurt anyone, depending on how troubled you are by finding glitter on your person, furniture, and cat for weeks afterwards! Here are some pictures from the day:
Amariah's golden girl:
Olie with mask and a mask by Andrew:
Damon is a Godzilla/lizard beast/dinosaur expert:
Mask by Andrew, pre eye and mouth cut-outs:

Elle, Phoenix, Lauren, and Nicole:
Natalie:
Hands down the scariest thing I saw all day, by Simon:
I absentmindedly held my camera vertically while taking video, so if you want to see video of Arthur and Andrew telling the stories behind some of their masks, tilt your head to the left 90 degrees:
I love the involved narratives behind kids' artwork. I have a vivid memory of writing a story in second grade about the lives of a mother and baby dragon. In my mind, it was an epic tale - my magnum opus, rife with descriptive detail and character development. I later re-discovered this piece as an adult, and the entire story unfolds in about 5 sentences.






