Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A FEW THINGS I'M THANKFUL FOR

Exactly as I find them at the door of the Ed Lab each Saturday.




















Having just finished both of my Fall ART BRAINS camps and my 2011 Art After School program at Comet Ping Pong, I'm looking forward to finally posting pictures of all of the projects we've done over the last couple months. Also, in the spirit of T-gives, I'd like to say I'm feeling very grateful to people like my fantastic volunteers (ART BRAINS volunteers pictured above!). Having had the experience of doing some classes solo as well as with not-so-top-notch helpers in the past, it's very clear to me what a huge difference it makes to have quality assistance during class sessions. It's the difference between having a class where things happen and having a class I feel great about because I was able to focus my energy on the kids and helping them get a lot out of the project at hand. My ART BRAINS volunteers are so thoughtful. Some even email me during the week outside of class with helpful ideas, and they generously donate their time on Saturdays when they could be doing anything else. Jamie, Dan, and Harriet - you are the best, and I am thankful for you! 

Also at the top of my list: Artisphere's beautiful, clean, well-stocked Ed Lab, its friendly and helpful staff, and Ms. Lisa Marie Thalhammer, Artisphere's Director of Educational Programs who facilitates all programs like ART BRAINS and more while also maintaining her practice as an artist. AND Comet Ping Pong, where great things have started happening with Art After School. I'm so happy to be working with them on this program. Not to mention the incredible, creative kids I've had the chance to work with so far, and their supportive, enthusiastic families.

Oh, and p.s. This just in: the DCCAH Arts Education Program grant I was awarded to hold an Art After School program at the dynamic BloomBars space in Columbia Heights...!!!  I've wanted to work with BloomBars on an Art After School program for little while now, and this grant will make it possible in early 2012. I'm so thrilled - thanks, DC Commission!!

Now for a little down time - relaxing and. . . writing 24 lesson plans. Happy Thanksgiving!