Tuesday, June 18, 2013

CAMPIN' OUT



I was asked to lead a craft session at a camping-themed birthday party for an 8 year old girl last week and, inspired by our Campfire Stories project, decided to go with having the girls make mini, portable campfires using sticks, stones, crepe paper, feathers, gold ribbon and pretend marshmallows on sticks for roasting. Each one got its own little flickering, electric candle, too, which makes the fires feel genuinely cozy and glowy in the dark. Here are some pictures from the quick test fire I made.  I'm working on a list of summer projects for kids, and I think this little campfire will be included. So fun for pretend camping - outdoors or in! The birthday party itself was completely adorable, and entailed s'mores, a fire pit, a big tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, and a hike through the woods.




























Tragically, I have no clear photos of the moment when my cat grabbed the marshmallow stick in her mouth, making it hover over the flames. She refused to repeat this stunt, proving that you get what you pay for when you work with unpaid models. Typical.