This week's project completed by both my Comet and BloomBars Art After School classes was inspired by Monster Valentines, a book I've had since childhood. The story is about two best monster pals, Prunella and Rosie. Prunella is "mean, the way monsters are supposed to be", while Rosie is an unusually friendly monster. Rosie's idea of a nice valentine is one trimmed in lace and offering sweet sentiments, while Prunella's ideal valentine is one dipped in skunk juice on "icky" green paper that compares its receiver to a crocodile, or threatens her with a bite. I asked the AAS kids to make valentines in the spirit of Prunella, considering what a traditional monster might find attractive and pleasant. You can see the results for yourself below - edgy offerings of monster love that would make any scaly, furry, slime-loving creature blush.
![]() |
| L: a message written in monster language, R: "I hope your Smellentine stinks with love" |
![]() |
| "Be my valentine or else...I will crush you"; "You are so crazy, you don't look like a daisy" |
![]() |
| "Have an ugly, weird, ghostly Valentine's Day. And scaly too." |
![]() |
| Three monsters |
![]() |
| L: "I hope you think I smell"; R: Elliott and Justice with valentines |
![]() |
| The monster on the left has a brain stuck to its face. |
![]() |
| Helena w/ box of monster candies; Torin with valentines |
![]() |
| "Roses are red, violets are blue, this valentine's roadkill, not unlike you" |
![]() |
| "Roses are red, violets are blue, You will die too soon." ( !!! ) |










